Topic: Peaceful Planet Transfer

I'm in a familiar frustrating situation in which I want to pass planets to a family member but the timezone differences make it feel like we're playing phone tag.  As an attacker, this slows down my plans significantly.

Worse, it also reflects the gap between extremely active teams and those who aren't as fortunate to always have people online, a gap that we should be closing if we want to retain new/casual players.

I'm considering a feature in which you can "push" planets onto other family members, without them having to take any action at all.  Better yet, it wouldn't require any actual attacks, meaning you could build a portal/laser on a specific planet or set of planets and then transfer ownership without having to mess around with meaningless "battles".

Obviously, this opens up new build strategies (some might say, abuse) in which a small player with a high construction bonus could do all of the family's infra work.  I wonder though, is that such a bad thing?

I'm interested in your guys thoughts on this.  Why is it a good idea?  Why is it a bad idea?

Thanks.

Got a few bucks?  The Imperial Tip Jar is accepting contributions!

Re: Peaceful Planet Transfer

Kinda sounds like my previous idea about naps but instead inside family....obviously i like it smile

~Cells~

would be  much better this way

~~~~******EasYwaY ******~~~~ biggest noob around

Much better!

Transfer should have a little delay  though (for the new ruler to arrive). Delay could be distance to port of new owner.

Make sure you cant transfer to player in pmode

~Attacking is a Skill~
~Defending is an Art~

Oh yeah that would be brilliant, i would definitely need one, im barely INACTIVE! :-P

I bet you click on family ranking, you see the list, then 3 seconds, you refresh, wtf, what the hell happened?

But, hey, lets do it for an experiment! :-D

Proverbs 11:14 "Where there is no guidance the people fall,
But in abundance of counselors there is a victory."

LightGuns, yes, pmode block planet transfer probably good idea to avoid abuse during war

Proverbs 11:14 "Where there is no guidance the people fall,
But in abundance of counselors there is a victory."

7 (edited by Cjay92 17-May-2017 05:49:50)

Could you also set a limit on the amount the amount that may be passed per tick, even per player per round

Did you know that a spiders blood is blue

I would assume the recipient of the planets would have to click 'accept' before getting them? Else this can go really funny.

I can see a lot of opportunity for exploitation with a system like this if it isn't implemented properly.

mbvX, jamjam, nobody, smax

Processor VX wrote:

I can see a lot of opportunity for exploitation with a system like this if it isn't implemented properly.

Thats my point exactly

I dunno ... I feel like this just makes things a little too easy... hyper coordinated fams will lose their edge.

Never rule out the possibility that you are a complete idiot

If banker planets are in danger of being lost to big attacker, you could transfer all of your planets to the main attackers. Haha. Game dynamics would be so different. Feels like opening up a can of worms.

Horfian wrote:

If banker planets are in danger of being lost to big attacker, you could transfer all of your planets to the main attackers. Haha. Game dynamics would be so different. Feels like opening up a can of worms.

transfering them still doesn't make them portalled?

Thing is, morale becomes a bit of a joke? Attacker takes a planet, transfers, takes, transfers etc.

Also, huge player is being raided, AH! Let's split the planets across the fam to ruin the enemies morale!

Funny stuff like that

Morale should be removed anyway smile

~Attacking is a Skill~
~Defending is an Art~

I feel like this is one of those things that are good in theory but with no practical implication.

Hala wrote:
Horfian wrote:

Thing is, morale becomes a bit of a joke? Attacker takes a planet, transfers, takes, transfers etc.

Also, huge player is being raided, AH! Let's split the planets across the fam to ruin the enemies morale!

Funny stuff like that

Hala, that could actually be a strategy that you need to be prepared for.  This game is about strategy, and that would just be another element.  Plus, not saying this alone will do it, but changes like that could have the possibility to bring in new players with easier gameplay, especially for new players.

Transfers to enemy could be a fun strategy to paralys attackers.

~Attacking is a Skill~
~Defending is an Art~

[PW2] PICKLE ARMY wrote:

I dunno ... I feel like this just makes things a little too easy... hyper coordinated fams will lose their edge.

That'd be the intention.  The game currently favors activity over strategy such that players are overly punished if their fam isn't as active as they are.  That sucks for skilled players who feel trapped, but it's even worse for new players who feel like it's pointless.

If we can allow families the means to be productive without requiring hyper-activity, we level the playing field.  All families would then have more competition and would require more than just being active to stay competitive.  If activity matters less, strategy matters more.

In theory anyway.

The best route (as usual) could be to set this as a galaxy setting, and test it on a small galaxy first.

MightyOz wrote:
Hala wrote:
Horfian wrote:

Funny stuff like that

Hala, that could actually be a strategy that you need to be prepared for.  This game is about strategy, and that would just be another element.

How can you prepare for that? It's basically giving attackers a freeby for staying small.
I like the idea, but I think it shouldn't be just 'push', it should be push+accept.

The suggestion above is you can freely transfer planets away. I think it should be a system where one player can offer a planet to another, but the receiving party needs to 'accept' the planets too.
That way it takes 2 players to tranfer a planet and makes it more a team thing.

I sadly agree with Hala for once.

I'd say a "push" to a member but also said member has to accept the bulk push, or each planet individually.

They still don't have to send ALL the fleets which takes FOREVER mind you!    (Coming from a guy who had 1000+ planet's last round.. it's HORRIBLE)

Activity should NOT be how you win or lose.. but sadly that's how it is with the current set-up.

[13:43] <@RisingDown> never thought i'd say it, but TBO actually did something useful.
[13:43] <@arsy> dont let him see you say that
[13:43] <@RisingDown> oh shit
[13:43] * You were kicked from #room by arsy (kapow!)

This would be retardedly abusable.  The fact that you can take intra-family planets for no morale loss is already retardedly abusable.

I can't see any decent reason that intra-fam "attacks" are even a thing, other than the fact that it's just how IC has been forever and that it's what we're used to.

It's silly to think that I can have lasers + a portal and have to demolish both to allow a friendly empire to take over.  Why couldn't my defenses be smart enough to know not to attack a friend?

I do agree though that a little friction could be a good thing.  Push + accept sounds reasonable, and although not as fast as just push it could easily be a matter of a notification like:

Your family member, The Bob Empire, has offered the 3 planets below to be under your control.

How would you like to respond?

1,2:3 [ ]
1,2:4 [ ]
5,6:7 [ ]
Select All [ ]

[ Accept Selected ] [ Decline Selected ]

And we could tie this into distance, as LiGhTGuNs suggested, by requiring a single tranny (no ground needed) to carry the new ruler/ambassador/etc.  When that unit arrives, the transfer then happens automatically (similar to how explos land).

The morale thing is an interesting point.  We could prevent wartime abuse by having this cost a slight "regime change" morale penalty for both empires involved in the transfer.  Maybe a flat 1% loss per planet transfer with a threshold for how low you can drop this way?

I'd be wary of making this too complicated, but I do think there are some practical gains here.  As it is, trading planets with family members is a chore.  I don't see any justification for it being as slow and tedious as it currently is.  Something that is a core part of coordination should be as smooth as possible.

I like pie wrote:

I do agree though that a little friction could be a good thing.  Push + accept sounds reasonable, and although not as fast as just push it could easily be a matter of a notification like:

Your family member, The Bob Empire, has offered the 3 planets below to be under your control.

How would you like to respond?

1,2:3 [ ]
1,2:4 [ ]
5,6:7 [ ]
Select All [ ]

[ Accept Selected ] [ Decline Selected ]

And we could tie this into distance, as LiGhTGuNs suggested, by requiring a single tranny (no ground needed) to carry the new ruler/ambassador/etc.  When that unit arrives, the transfer then happens automatically (similar to how explos land).

Pie, don't get me wrong. I love this suggestion. I was just opposing the single push option. I think an accept has to be build in as well. The description you mentioned above is perfect, that would work great.
I'd still keep it at 0% morale. Why would it cost morale to pass a planet to a friendly empire?

On the morale abuse, if you build in some sort of transition time, no morale loss required.
If a friendly push + accept takes some time to get all the 'contractual and legal paperwork' done, or indeed to send a new ruler, that works fine.

Maybe a new Ambassador unit?  You would send it like a tport and once its en route the receiving party gets a notification to allow it?  Probably a headache for Pie to get this worked out lol.

Nah no way, anything is possible!  Allowing acceptance as soon as it's en route is a great idea.  That would put the travel time starting from the initiator.  That would feel a little faster while still requiring confirmation.  Good stuff.

Hala wrote:

Pie, don't get me wrong. I love this suggestion. I was just opposing the single push option.

Oh I know.  Your guys feedback is great, keep it comin!

I like the idea of transition time.  For exploration, even for 0-tickers you still need a tick of prep.  We could write transfers to feel similar.