Topic: A new year, a new IC: 2017 Plans

Greetings friends and happy new year!

2016 was a big year for Imperial Conflict and we plan for 2017 to be even bigger.

Before we get into those details, I want to say thank you to all of you for being here.  IC is a great game, but it isn't nearly as great as its community.  Every single one of you reading this plays a part in the success of what we do.  From the silent players who've never posted in the forums to our moderators who keep things running smoothly to everybody in between: we all share a common experience and you are all appreciated for making IC what it is.

And now onto the good stuff!

Mobile App

An official mobile app is long overdue and is very high on the list of priorities.  Part of this work is going to be taking a good hard look at how the game operates under the surface.  This work is already in progress, and I won't bore you with the technical details but I am excited about what this means for the evolution of the game as a whole.

Gameplay Overhaul

The "under the hood" work done for the mobile app will open up possibilities for the website as well.  *Everything* is going to be re-evaluated for improvements.  The core of IC isn't going to change, but we are going to aim to improve the experience at every level.

Tick Variations

Another long requested feature is part of the "must haves" for 2017: tick variations.  1-hour ticks aren't going anywhere but shaking up the options with regard to players' availability has been a long time coming.

Other Stuff

I'm going to stop there because it's easy to dream big for IC but promises aren't as interesting as seeing the features themselves.  There is a lot more on the way than just the 3 above, so stay tuned!

Mass Pardon

This is a somewhat difficult topic to discuss but it is important.

The relationship between the IC Staff and its players has a somewhat checkered history.  The moderator team has taken its share of abuse throughout the years and a subset of our player-base has been critical of the staff for just as long.

If I can be candid and transparent for a bit: this is a result of a flawed Staff structure, and I don't mean the moderators.  There will always be cheaters and trolls, but there are players who have been banned from the game for reasons that while valid at the time, were nonetheless implemented during a period when the game lacked adequate dev and admin attention.

The moderator team took far more responsibility than they had to with regard to defining enforcement policy and as a result have unfairly received scorn that should be directed at the admin/dev.  Everything bubbles up to the guy in charge.  Our past admin/dev, Squirrel, did a great thing keeping the game alive for so long but we have to be honest about and critical of the state of IC as it was when the ownership transfer happened.

We can do better than this.

As of today, in the interest of change, all past bans are being nullified.  I'm not going to name names, but we're a close community and some of you reading this likely know a player or two who at some point crossed the line into permanent blocking.

To be clear: we still have rules and they are still expected to be followed, but sometimes there is value in not letting the past get in the way of the future.

Thank you all for reading this, and I hope you all have a great 2017.  It's going to be a big year, and I hope you all enjoy the ride!

Feedback regarding this specific topic can be found/added here.

Dec 2016 Task Archive: https://trello.com/b/MbXEZTKU/archived-dec-2016
Current Work Plan: https://trello.com/b/gNAr9gke/tasks

Got a few bucks?  The Imperial Tip Jar is accepting contributions!