Re: Mafia 37: The Battle for Whiterun

In the year 201 of the 4th Era, the territory of Skyrim began a descent into political turmoil.  The High King of Skyrim, King Torygg, was killed in a duel with Ulfric Stormcloak, Jarl of the city of Windhelm.  Nord tradition holds that in the event that the title of High King is left unfilled, the Jarls from the nine Holds in Skyrim join in a gathering known as the Moot, in which they elect a new High King.

But these are not normal times, and the stakes in Skyrim's election have rarely been higher.  In 175, after a lengthy war, the Empire of Cyrodiil accepted surrender terms to the Elven Thalmor Dominion.  Among its terms for surrender, the Emperor of Cyrodiil agreed that the people in its nation would ban worship of the god Talos within the polytheist pantheon of Gods worshipped by its citizens, including the people of Skyrim.

Since then, many citizens of Skyrim, led by Ulfric Stormcloak, have begun to take arms in protest of the peace agreement.  Unwilling to accept the erasing of core religious beliefs, Ulfric began his push to replace High King Torygg as High King of Skyrim.  Following the duel with Torygg, Ulfric began vying for the position of High King.

Unwilling to accept allowing Skyrim to break its tenuous peace agreement with the Thalmor, Cyrodiil began its own political venturing into Skyrim.  Meanwhile, Cyrodiil pushed its support behind King Torygg's wife, Queen Elisif of Solitude, in an effort to rally the Nords behind a ruler who would be ameniable to the Empire's objectives.

Of the nine holds to vote in the Moot, both Jarl Elisif and Jarl Stormcloak have so far each received their pledged support from four holds.  Only one Jarl, Jarl Balgruuf of Whiterun, has hesitated to voice his support for either side in the campaign.  As the time until the Moot draws near, both the Stormcloak rebels and the Imperial Legion have grown anxious and impatient to discover the fate of Skyrim.  Unless the scales are tipped toward one side, the fate of Skyrim may rest in the hands of one man.

Meanwhile, the quaint Gray-Mane home was abuzz with activity, as the Gray-Mane family listen to another family squabble.  Eorlund Gray-Mane had long attempted to quell the Gray-Mane call for action against the Battle-Born clan.  Eorlund had already lost one son in the Stormcloak Rebellion.  He didn't want to risk losing another.

"We still aren't even sure who Balgruuf is supporting for High King.  He could still support Ulfric.  You could be risking the lives of your family members in vain!"

The Gray-Mane family had long felt shamed by the Empire's peace accord with the Thalmor Dominion.  When Ulfric Stormcloak first manifested, the Gray-Mane relations with their former Battle-Born comrades had long fallen apart.  Though not as rich a family as the Battle-Born clan, the Gray-Manes were still well-respected in Whiterun, despite their fervent support for the Stormcloaks.  Although they had never taken overt violent action within Whiterun in support of the Stormcloaks, the growing ferocity of violence outside Whiterun made the call for violence inside House Gray-Mane louder by the day.

"No, we know about it."  Avulstein Gray-mane, son of Eorlund Gray-Mane, retorted.  "I have... a contact... who's informed me that Balgruuf hasn't been completely honest.  He's playing us for fools, Father... biding his time so he can cast a vote for the Empire without having to answer to us.  Every other Jarl has voiced their support one way or another.  The fate of Skyrim rests in his hands, and he's holding off.  He's either a traitor or a coward."

"Or perhaps he simply hasn't decided yet.  The wise are sometimes not so quick to come to a conclusion."

"Then perhaps it's time to make him decide."

"We still have his ear.  Given enough talk and enough time-"

"No!  No more counsels, Father!  We've prayed and delayed long enough as it is!  The Empire's bound to bring more troops into Skyrim, not only to deal with Ulfric, but with the recent dragon attacks.  Every moment we wait is another moment the Empire can muster more troops, all the while Jarl Blagruuf plays us for fools!"

"Even if so... why like this?  This isn't our way.  This isn't the Nord way.  We're honorable warriors!"

"Is it the Nord way to reject Talos?  Is it the Nord way to bow to the whims of the Thalmor?  I don't like it as much as you do, father... but we're not exactly in a position to march into Dragonsreach and challenge Balgruuf to a duel.  Sitting in Whiterun waiting isn't going to help.  This is the only way."

Eorlund paused for a moment.  He knew his son had the right intentions at heart, though he was so head-strong in his ways.

However, the type of war they were about to endeavor in had been foreign to the Nords.  Nord warriors, incluing Ulfric himself, had long favored open, honorable combat.  Quiet elimination of enemies during their sleep wasn't simply wrong... it would forever be a stain on the honor of the Gray-Mane family, a family which had long been held in such high prestige throughout all of Skyrim.  He knew that crossing into this path may forever erase the image of the Gray-Manes as the crafters of the best steel in Skyrim, replaced only by the memories of the bloodshed caused here.  Even if they succeeded, Ulfric may still have found their activities reprehensible.  No matter who won... the Gray-Manes would lose.

Still, he thought... perhaps the Gray-Manes were insignificant in the greater good.  This conflict was more than simply a feud between two families.  The fate of Skyrim was in their hands.  A family name could be a small price to pay to save the Nord people from the Thalmor's subjugation.

"Fine... we will do what we must... for Skyrim.  May Talos protect us."

"My Jarl, I come to seek another audience with you."

As the head of the wealthy Battle-Born family, Olfrid's family had long been staunch supporters of Cyrodiil's empire.  With the Empire's dire needs in Skyrim, the Battle-Born family became anxious to ensure that the Empire remained unified, doing what they could to shore up support in its military endeavors against Ulfric Stormcloak and his rebels.  And that meant frequent consultations with their local ruler, Jarl Balgruff of Whiterun.

Jarl Balgruuf had long grown impatient with Olfrid.  "If you're here for what I think, you can save your breath, Olfrid."

"We're far past the time for indecision.  While you wait to come to a decision, Ulfric is preparing to take matters into his own hands."

"I've heard your pleas, Olfrid.  They don't fall on deaf ears.  But even if I agreed with you, publicly voicing my support would do nothing but force the losing faction into desperation."

"Ulfric only needs one more Jarl to be declared High King.  All he has to do is replace one Jarl, and Skyrim's fate will be sealed.  And it will be on your head."

"For the last time, I will not provoke a war that will plunge Skyrim into darkness.  When the Moot meets, my voice will be heard.  A new High King will be elected, and we will be able to move on.  Skyrim can wait until then."

"If you think Ulfric or the Empire will simply walk away because of some silly vote, you're as naive as the Gray-Manes!"

"Enough!  This audience is finished."

Olfrid bowed, then turned and left Dragonsreach.  As he left,  Balgruuf turned to his steward, Provencius.

"How long must we wait until the Moot finally convenes?  I can't hold this tide back forever."

"If we provoke Ulfric by announcing our position in advance, the Moot will make little difference."

Jarl Balgruuf let out a sigh as he continued to wait for the coming storm.

Deep in an underground cavern near the Hold of Falkreath, the Dark Brotherhood was quietly at work on their own machinations.  Having a time-honored tradition of performing contracted assassinations, the Dark Brotherhood could often be found somewhere when political turmoil existed in Tamriel.  Hundreds of years ago, the Dark Brotherhood was at the pinnacle of its fame, having formerly killed an Emperor.

Today, their call to shape the world comes once again, as a young woman in red and black leather passed through the doors barricading the cavern entrance, entering a large room surrounded with shelves, supplies, and uniforms.  In the center of the room, a small girl wearing a blue dress leaped from a chair, running toward her friend.

"Astrid!  Welcome back!  How was the meeting with the new client?"

"Very... interesting.  He had a rather... unique job for us.  Well paying, of course... but a challenge."

"Oh?  A challenge, you say?"

"You're aware that the Moot is meeting soon to elect the new High King, of course."

"Of course I'm aware... Does anyone in Skyrim talk of anything else?  Always politics... it's frankly all become a bit of a bore..."

"Yes, dear.  However, if we're successful in this job, this one may be slightly more interesting."

"Oh?"

"Skyrim has 9 holds voting in the Moot.  Currently, 4 votes are supporting Ulfric, and 4 supporting Elysif... leaving only Whiterun undecided.  Our client... doesn't want Whiterun voting."

"Oh?"

"If Whiterun has some recognized ruler to go to the Moot, somebody can be declared High King of Skyrim.  Our employers... don't want that.  Our employers like Skryim fighting amongst itself... so they don't have to march into Skyrim on their own."

"And how, exactly, did you suggest we proceed to wipe out a town's population without getting noticed?"

Astrid smiled coyly.  "Well, since you mention it... we do need someone who would be able to be in a town... possibly for a few days... in the open... without arousing suspicion."

The little girl batted her eyes a few times.  "Oh, but what could I possibly do to hurt any of those nice people in that town?  I'm just a little lost girl!"

Astrid smiled, and began to turn away.  "Enjoy yourself!"

The little girl briefly straightened her hair, then brushed off the dirt on her dress.  Relatively presentable, she then turned to the cavern entrance, and left where Astrid entered the chamber.

Make Eyes Great Again!

The Great Eye is watching you... when there's nothing good on TV...

2 (edited by The Great Eye 16-Feb-2013 03:42:30)

1. Oxygen - Town Special #1 killed by lynch day 2
2. Chomp - Slit his own throat due to the intense stress brought on by the impending civil war.
3. Poley - Doctor killed night 4 by SK
4. nerde
5. EvilRunt - Townie killed Night 2 by Mob
6. RisingDown - Townie killed due to inactivity day 2
7. Ramza
8. Walking Corpse
9. SSL
10. Einstein - Killed Day 3 - Jarl of Whiterun
11. Genesis - Townie killed due to inactivity day 2
12. Wendy
13. James|Sunstorm - Slipped while bathing in the river, landing on a rock that tore his rear end wide open. He bled out before he could get help.
14. TheBigOne - Cop killed by SK Night 3
15. Remo - Townie killed by mob Night 3
16. Torqez
17. KT - GF (Mob) lynched Day 4
18. Arby3 - Mob killed Night 2 by SK
19. Dangerous - Townie killed Night 1 by Mob
20. Nolio - Mob Special #2 - Lynched Day 3
21. TheUnknown
22. Undeath
23. Gwynedd - Ysolda (pro-town secret role #2) - Lynched Day 1
24. bretthepet - Townie DEAD Night 1 by SK
25. Xara - SK - Lynched Day 5

Solis - #7872

3 (edited by The Great Eye 11-Feb-2013 00:45:39)

-------Special Roles----------

Jarl Balgruuf has the ability to lock one person in Dragonsreach dungeon each night.  A player locked in the dungeon is unable to use their night phase abilities for that night.  They may still be the targets of night phase abilities.  If the Gray-Mane associate assigned to perform that night's killing is locked in Dragonsreach, they will be unable to perform the killing for that night.

Danica Pure-Spring has the ability to heal one person each night.  She cannot heal the same person two nights in a row, and she cannot heal herself.  A person healed this way is healed from a single night killing effect, i.e., if the Gray-Manes and Dark Brotherhood both target a player who is also targeting the doctor, the doctor will only prevent the first heal effect.

Irileth and Idolaf Battle-Born will know each other's identities at the beginning of the game.  The pair will be able to investigate one player each night.  They will need to choose amongst themselves each night which player will perform the investigation.

There are two pro-town secret roles.

Vignar Gray-Mane cannot be killed during the night phase.  During the night phsae, Vignar Gray-Mane gets the final word on who the Gray-Manes will kill that night, and which Gray-Mane will perform the killing.

There are two pro-Gray-Mane secret roles.

The Dark Brotherhood associate has two night abilities.  First, once per night, she may choose to kill one player.

Second, she accrues a mind-controlling ability, allowing her to take control of a player's day vote.  Beginning on Night 2, she may choose one player to enchant, and a player for whom the enchanted player must vote.  If the enchanted player does not follow the vote directed or discloses that they have been enchanted, that player is automatically killed.  A player using this ability must identify both the target of the mind-control effect and the person that target is voting for during the night phase she chooses to use that ability.  The choice of the player to be voted for during the following day phase may not be changed during the day phase in which it is activated.  This ability cannot be used to force a player to vote for himself/herself (i.e., the person targeted and the person that player must vote for must be two different people).

The Dark Brotherhood associate gains one use of this ability on night 2, and one more use on every even numbered night.  Uses may be saved for future night phases.  However, multiple uses may not be expended in the same night phase.

The Dark Brotherhood associate can be killed at night.  She cannot be cured at night.

Make Eyes Great Again!

*** RULES ***

- Your objective is to rule Whiterun; to do this, you must eliminate your opposing faction.

- Gray-Manes are allowed 1 kill each night; they will win if they kill all pro-town roles, citizens, and the Dark Brotherhood associate

- Town will win if they kill all Gray-Mane-aligned members and the Dark Brotherhood associate

- The Dark Brotherhood is allowed 1 kill each night; she wins if she kills everyone else and is the sole standing survivor

- Each day phase, every Skyrim citizen must vote for whoever they think should be executed that day; this person will die and no longer be a part of the game.

- In the event of a tie in the number of votes at the end of dayphase, there will be an extended period of 1 hour for players to change their votes, should they wish to do so; if at the end of the extended period the tie still persists, BOTH players will be lynched; if a player missed the original voting deadline he will NOT be able to cast his vote during the extended period.

- You cannot miss two vote; should this happen, you will be immediately removed from the game, and lynch will still commence based on voting.

- You are NOT allowed to make public the message sent you by the writers to tell you your role, either entirely or in part; should this happen you will be removed from the present game and possibly future editions as well. You can share what your information means, but you cannot share exact text.

- Once you're dead, you're dead. Do no talk about the game to still active players, or post in the forum thread. This will be considered an act of influence upon the remaining players, and will get you banned from future games. We all like to have fun, and play by the rules, so please keep that in mind.

Order of Night Time Activities:

- Jarl Balgruuf
- Pro-Whiterun secret role 1
- Pro-Gray-Mane secret role 1
- Healing
- SK Kill
- Mafia Kill
- Pro-Whiterun secret role 2
- Investigation
- SK mind-controlling ability

Make Eyes Great Again!

We're still waiting on players to join Tri, so we have not begun the game yet.  However, setup is done from our end, so we figured the bookkeeping work should be posted to show we're not slacking.  smile

Make Eyes Great Again!

wow, how long you been working on that story.

He waka eke noa

WAY too long.  X(

Make Eyes Great Again!

Oooh I wanna be in the Dork Brotherhood!!

<@Nick> it always scares me when KT gets all dominatrixy
* I_like_pie is now known as pie|bbl
<@KT|afk> Look at him run!
<@Nick> if you tell him to slap you and call you mommy
<@Nick> i'm leaving and never coming back

I'm sure that will happen, either way WC wink

Miss Che Vias-Sprite
Yehes ha sowena whath dhewgh why ha 'gas henath

Be Troll Aware!

thought you already were in that brotherhood ....

He waka eke noa

Some nice writing already smile.

Maar doodslaan deed hij niet, want tussen droom en daad,
Staan wetten in de weg en praktische bezwaren,
En ook weemoedigheid, die niemand kan verklaren,
En die des avonds komt, wanneer men slapen gaat.

12 (edited by Satanic Spawn 10-Feb-2013 15:43:09)

Missing in action:

chomp
nerde
James|Sunstorm
TheBigOne

Runnin out of time to get in!

Solis - #7872

whats this?!

PeachPuddingPie aka xara is in already tongue

I was under the impression we used our forum names...tsk tsk

Solis - #7872

You're not in the fam either yet?

17 (edited by Satanic Spawn 10-Feb-2013 16:14:08)

Dont call me a nerd!

and im the runnin this show...i get to use whatever name i want! tongue

Solis - #7872

Except Xavier.  He can't use the name Xavier.

Make Eyes Great Again!

19 (edited by The Great Eye 10-Feb-2013 16:58:56)

Okay, I'm putting an executive order in and saying if the other guys don't join Tri by 1 AM GMT (the beginning of night phase), we're going with who's around and distributing roles (re-randomizing, of course).

Make Eyes Great Again!

beginning of day* phase

21 (edited by The Great Eye 10-Feb-2013 16:59:30)

night*

Oh, and slight edit: Roles distributed at 1 AM GMT.

Make Eyes Great Again!

I'm in it harder then a stripper with no moral's

[13:43] <@RisingDown> never thought i'd say it, but TBO actually did something useful.
[13:43] <@arsy> dont let him see you say that
[13:43] <@RisingDown> oh shit
[13:43] * You were kicked from #room by arsy (kapow!)

Why are we still placed in the fam from last mafia round? X( X( X( X( X(

Failby3???

<@Nick> it always scares me when KT gets all dominatrixy
* I_like_pie is now known as pie|bbl
<@KT|afk> Look at him run!
<@Nick> if you tell him to slap you and call you mommy
<@Nick> i'm leaving and never coming back

This is IC mafia, you are not allowed to edit your posts HydroP. Now go boot yourself out of this game!

imma boot you!

Solis - #7872