Topic: IC as a Hole

i dunno whats really been going on in the development.. but has anyone notice the massive drop in player.. nowadays massive is what 10-15 players stopping but ya.. it seems like the community has gotten alot lighter.. no real fights no real teamwork its just lame i dunno what u guys are doing but if u could plz take it back to 1 main gal and SN this 3-4 gals is lame.. people arent even playing really.. the small systems is gay.. the round length is gay.. i know im only 1 guy but until their are some serious changes i'll be sitting out til someone get the pic..

Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.

Sun Tzu

Re: IC as a Hole

Hole is gay

mbvX, jamjam, nobody, smax

We're definitely feeling the effects of a dry spell.  Work however is ongoing as always and we are coming closer and closer to being at a point where larger promotional efforts (let alone the mobile app) actually make sense. 

It's worth remembering what the larger plan is right now: since last August IC has been in a state of "re-development", meaning its guts are being ripped out and it's being experimented on.  The point of this is to understand the game's shortcomings and failures so we can rebuild it properly.

You're not the first and won't be the last to dislike this approach but I stand by my statement: I didn't take over to keep things running exactly the same.  I've made some mistakes along the way but as far as I'm concerned IC is experiencing a second era of betas, and that means we will absolutely have growing pains.

You mentioned that you "dunno whats really been going on in the development", so here's a summary:

Improved Map

Nearly everything about the map needs to be improved.  Not just the redesigned version, but the old version as well.  Neither of them really get it quite right.

We just got a fairly significant change to the planet/system views in the game, including the long-requested ability to explore multiple planets at once.

On the way are sending multiple attack/station fleets at once, along with a rewrite of the actual galactic map itself that will solve a lot of the current problems.

Improved Registration

As you may have noticed, MW didn't fill up this time.  On the surface that may look like "we're running too many galaxies" but really the problem there is that we have to guess how many people might want to play every time we start a round.  For years we've had problems with galaxies not filling up, or not enough active players; this isn't new.

The real problem isn't that we have too many galaxies, it's that each galaxy is always a shot in the dark as to whether or not it will be a balanced round.  This is incredibly frustrating and something I've been looking forward to fixing for awhile now.

So instead, what we will have in the future is a system where people do a "blind" registration, meaning everybody has 1 or 2 days to join a galaxy, but the galaxy itself isn't actually generated until after all joins are complete.

This will help galaxies feel less empty from the start, as the galaxy will only ever be large enough to support the players who are interested in playing.  It sucks to have a 60 player galaxy where 1 active family dominates because there's only actually 30 active players.  However, the same 30 people playing a galaxy that's specifically built for 30 players can actually be an interesting and balanced round.

Updated Guide

This one's an obvious one: our new guide sucks and our old one isn't relevant anymore.  Either of those are probably doing more to scare away new players than to help them.

Promoting the game is a waste of time and effort until these 3 things happen, and until we put more promotion into the game, this dry spell will continue and perhaps even worsen.

In the meantime, there is a path forward and I (and the staff, and now the testing crew as well) continue to actively work on improving the game.

{Black Mafia} IC Death wrote:

i know im only 1 guy but until their are some serious changes i'll be sitting out til someone get the pic..

Don't sell yourself short.  Even "only 1 guy" is still a player, and every player's experience is important.  For now though, the best I can tell you is that we really are in more of a beta stage again.  We're not experiencing the death of the game, we're experiencing a rebirth.

Hang in there; things might get worse before they get better but they will definitely get better eventually.

Got a few bucks?  The Imperial Tip Jar is accepting contributions!

i think ur missin the issue here.. its not wats going on in the back ground it what u did with the shorter rounds smaller systems and multiple galaxies.. i told and im sure several others told u we dont have enough players for multiple gals and what ud get is a bunch of half ass efforts trying to other 3 or more gals.. didnt listen and look at the outcome.. its sadding to see how the gal has dropped so hard..

Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.

Sun Tzu

Unannounced Roll back on andro=> at least 5 deleted

Currently I am avoiding ua rounds. I know 3 players that are doing the same.

Haven't seen fresh blood in a while.

~Attacking is a Skill~
~Defending is an Art~

it is sad to see it like this... like life, everything changes and nothing is safe i guess :-(

Yea, one main galaxy would probably be better.  I still fully believe this game can be saved with an App and Facebook advertising..

Could it also be saved with incessant whining?...  Probably not

Never rule out the possibility that you are a complete idiot

waiting on pie to snap to senses 1 gal is all u need we dont have enough atm to run more then that

Sun Tzu

yeah 1 gal is all we can handle.... if that

from a business perspective, this is probably what is needed. The game that was attractive to the 30 or so people playing isn't attractive to new players now. Let's be real here, if someone new does happen to join, it's not the game itself that drives new players away...it's our incredibly negative community.

I've said this a few times in round about ways, but maybe I need to just throw my opinion out there. We're a bunch of late 20-30somethings that have been playing this game for a big chunk of our lives. When developing with the intention of bringing in new players, we absolutely should not be the main target audience. If the intention is to maintain the status quo, than yes pie should do everything players tell him.

If you want to just play in one gal, just play in one gal, nobody is making you play in multiple galaxies. Personally I still like the idea of a true classic style galaxy where all us old vets can go to play, that way we can have the game we've loved for years, but Pie can still develop in a way that makes sense for his investment.

Also, you said "a hole"

<KT|Away> I am the Trump of IC

I've wanted one galaxy for a long time, I just assumed no one else wanted it.

I don't know how other's play, but for myself, sometimes I need a break from the game.  So if there's a round I don't like, I can sit that out.  And if there's not a new round starting, I don't mind joining in the middle of a round.

I don't believe anyone can play two rounds at the same time.  I mean, you have to play other computer games as well, right.

I think when people try a game, they want to actually "try" a game, not log in once at the beginning of the round to aid and come back a day later to aid again.  I would assume the most important thing to a new players is to quickly get a feel for the game.  The best way would be some kind of tutorial, but maybe a temporary solution could be a 1 day round with 1 min ticks and 1 min build times for everything?

And the improved registration idea sounds like a great idea.  Not knowing who is in your fam right away, balancing the fam members, and generating a map for a the correct number of people should really balance things out.  Hopefully it gets rid of some of the multies who are trying to land a specific fam.  To me, this probably the most exciting update I've heard in a while.

I was gonna write up a long reply to all of this but I'm trying to limit myself to one novel per thread. =P

I'll just say this: our plan right now isn't to focus on player count; it's to focus on rebuilding the game.  All of you guys have valid points, and many if not most of them will be addressed in the near future.

I can only hope that everybody sticks around to see the eventual results but the reality is that nobody is obligated to.  Work is happening as fast as it can, but it will never be fast enough.  As always, your patience is very much appreciated as is your feedback.

Back to work I go!

Got a few bucks?  The Imperial Tip Jar is accepting contributions!

Donald you grump ass lol you know you can't sit out.

i agree with the topic and pie...but in the long run one solo and one fam may be the way to go so you still have testers...

~Cells~

I'm sorry my ownage is driving away all the competition guys tongue

The Young Wolf

Hey now dont give them that much credit i never said they were competition wink hahaha

~Cells~

CELLS wrote:

Hey now dont give them that much credit i never said they were competition wink hahaha

Haha, good point Cells tongue

The Young Wolf

Wild none of the really decent players are playing ur pretty much playing half efforts and people with ego issues lol.. put it back to wat it was and u will see ur self change.. me and pitbull aint playing so ur safe i wonder if devilz is playing or colo.. u have no comp cause of IC's actions well pie's choices and stuff at a overhaul but he could of left everything the way it was and did these changes or just let 1 open gal

Sun Tzu

^Broken record

Never rule out the possibility that you are a complete idiot

lol

Sun Tzu

I would welcome tougher competition any day, believe me. Winning like this is nice, but not as good of a feeling as winning against tougher comp, and not nearly as fun.

The Young Wolf

I hope all this boasting is about SN or so, cause I don't see anyone performing in MW.

Wah wah wah wah wah. Wah wah wah wah wah wah wah

Same broken record. Not happy when things aren't changed and not happy when they are.

Insanity and genius are closely related!
*** Eltie for mod! ***
Failing Lemming of Teachings and Australian Cop Orgies: Gwynedd

Gwynedd wrote:

Wah wah wah wah wah. Wah wah wah wah wah wah wah

Same broken record. Not happy when things aren't changed and not happy when they are.

Amen!