Topic: Fog of war

Simple idea just like in most war game, each player can only see systems within certain range of his planets, and that not shared with his family or ally. So that p-list spell and p-list exchange will be very important. This also limit view when looking for target (also limit for farming).

Re: Fog of war

Very starcraftish tongue

This would empower well organized fams that can afford exploring and attacking far away from core. It would also leave the unorganized weaker fams "in the dark" so to speak, since i doubt this would encourage them to take more risks with their limited resources

Turn on - Tune in - Drop out

Even without fogs, well organized fams can explore and attacking far away and unorganized weaker fam stay in corner.

With fog can limit view, atleast unorganized can focus on home area. Say that home area have more ability to view system at 10-15 distance. While a single planet in a distance can only view neighbour systems. This also can prevent early intruder who try to directly target/attack bankers. Exploring into others core will be difficult because he don't know who is there. And unexplored planets also hidden by this fog, so explore too far will be very risky.

it is ... very komplikated sadly

its an old idea that was never done bkause it requires re-programming, and re-building the game as a whole.
New spells would appear to enhanze the field of vision, the ranks table wouldnt have a purpose bkause you kannot know who's winning when you're apparently alone in the gal (by the fog), and so many other drastikal zhanges that require high lever re-programming.

The idea is very interesting (always been) but sadly not doable right now.

indeed, the work needed for it isn't worth the gains

Turn on - Tune in - Drop out

I think its not hard to implement, just use simple rule and don't add complication with spells or etc.

* Stars are still visible in map, so everyone can recognize there is a start or not in that coord (x,y)
* if a star/system "in range 'm' from home" or "in range 'n' from nearest planet" so each planets info (owner or unexplored) visible, if not then only showing "unknown".
* Spell p-list only give planet list of targetted player, but visibility is not changed.
* Ops (planet infra) to a planet will give result planet info too (owner or unowned), so anyone can try to blindly check to distant to make sure owner of the planet or even only to explore.
* sending explorer to unknown planet is possible, but at risk eship returned/destroyed if already owned.

I don't think this would change a thing other than level of new player frustration.  Plus your idea that it wouldn't be hard to implement is nothing short of delusional.  This suggestion isn't simple at all as it involves taking what we currently have is 1 map for all players that, and creating a constantly changing map that is unique for all players.  Unless there is some capability in the new map that would allow this to be easily implemented (doubtful) it would take quite a bit of work.  Even if it is easy to implement, I don't see the ROI.

<KT|Away> I am the Trump of IC